I work by a few guiding principles:
- Every project has a purpose (regardless of how petty, political, or experimental the purpose may be, it has one)…
- …and when a project has a purpose, it can and should be assigned ‘goals’ that all responsible parties understand and agree on.
- The simplest path is almost always the best path.
- Install Google Analytics. Always.
- The best way to analyze any data is to draw a picture–lots of pictures.
- Listen to your users…
- …and do what they tell you, rather than what you think they’re telling you.
- When a project has strong revenue implications, someone must be in charge of ensuring revenue is considered at every digital decision point.